Monday, January 22, 2018

Not All Grown-Up Boys are Men




As I look around our society today, I see a lot of grown up boys who were never taught how to be men. Maybe not in regards to the technical definition of a man, but definitely in regards to the respectable one. And I don’t necessarily mean a “gentleman” either, as that isn’t really getting to the heart of the issue. You can be a bit rough around the edges, or goofy, or playful, or adventuresome when appropriate, and still be a respectable man. In fact, some of these qualities should be celebrated. I’m talking about men who know how to properly treat women as ladies. And I don’t mean Elizabethan chivalry. I mean with dignity, respect, and decency. Different, yes, but intrinsically equal in value. Not as objects. Not as inferiors. And not just treating ladies that way, but all people. And protecting children. And honoring the elderly. And taking responsibility for their own actions. And working hard to the extent of their ability. It is about considering others before, or at least equally to, oneself. True men must be made. Boys must be taught to be men. The natural inclination towards selfish indulgence must be disciplined and eventually self-disciplined to be under control. I’m sure many adult boys had fathers who were never taught to be men either. But reasons must not become lifelong excuses. Yes, there are girls who weren’t taught to be ladies, or women if you prefer, either. All people have that intrinsic inclination towards selfishness. But it is the adult boys that peeve me more.

“Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.” -Proverbs 22:6, NKJV

“When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” -1 Corinthians 13:11, NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment